This I Believe: Art is at the core of each and every one of us.

Rebecca - harrisonburg, Virginia

This I believe: Art is at the core of each and every one of us. Because of this fact, I believe art’s main purpose is to connect us all through evoking our emotions, question our common beliefs and appeal to our senses. Art is a way to communicate to each other the society in which we live today.

Each time my pencil touches paper, I bare another piece of myself for the rest of the world to see. Art offers a window into the soul. The creativity I use to produce art comes from within me and can be found in each of us. I believe that my creativity stems from the emotions felt by us all. Art is used to evoke emotion. Art can move us to tears or make us reflect on happier times with its subject matter and use of color. We each share memories of similar experiences. The art that I create is an expression of what I feel and experience on a day to day basis. Different colors can convey the wide range of moods I share with all of you. All of us can agree that the color red conveys anger and in contrast green conveys a soothing quality. This is how art can speak to us all. It connects me to each of you through our emotional response to what we see.

I believe that art is a reflection of the culture in which I live today. It comes from the collective experiences that make up who I am and who all of us are. These experiences are those we all share and to which we all can relate. I have laughed with friends, visited with family, experienced loss and shared happiness just as I know all of you have. These connections can be unique to the culture in which we live. In each culture, color can have various meanings and connotations. The use of white in American weddings, symbolizes purity. In Eastern cultures however, white represents mourning and is used in funerals.

Art can be used in several ways to connect us. I could use art to call attention to political issues that I agree with and think that you should also agree with. I could use art to let other people know that I disagree with our societal views on any given topic. Art can rally us together for a common goal or purpose and can create change and growth. I believe art has the power to create change because it can stir such strong emotional reactions from its audience.

I believe art is a reflection of the culture in which we live today because I create art as a reflection of myself and surroundings. I believe art creates connections between us because of the common experiences I share with all of you and because art comes from within.