Love and Respect Your Roommate

Samantha - muncie, Indiana

Love and Respect your Roommate

So far in the short amount of time that I have been in college I have learned two very important things; to love and respect your roommate. Even though I knew my roommate before I started college there were still many things that I had yet to learn.

Prior to leaving home Sarah and I would spend countless days and hours trying to get everything together and establish how our room would be set up. We laid out the rules of the dorm and decided we would share everything equally, and split the cost of extras. The number one rule that we had was to respect one another. Upon arrival to Ball State we couldn’t help but notice that we had way more stuff than everyone else. That realization led to stress about where we would put it all, because let’s face it everyone knows how tiny those rooms really are.

Once we were settled in then began the true test. Could we respect one another’s wishes? And most importantly could we live together without eventually hating each other? When we would tell people that we were really good friends and we were rooming together, their response was always, and “You are going to hate each other at the end of the year”. That’s the one thing that we don’t want to happen.

One thing I can say that both Sarah and I have learned is to ask before using or borrowing something from one another. I remember an incident that actually happened not too long ago. Sarah and I were sitting in our room; I got up to brush my hair, but couldn’t find my hairbrush, so I just used Sarah’s not thinking it would be a big deal. As soon as she saw what I was doing she yelled, “Sam! Is that my brush?! Seriously? It’s just like borrowing someone’s toothbrush”. The whole time she was yelling at me she was laughing. I just simply replied with, “Yeah? What’s the big deal? It’s not like I have head lice or anything. I used it just the other day”. After a few minutes of laughter she explained to me exactly why she freaked out. This was one situation where I learned to respect Sarah.

Treat your roommate like you would want to be treated. Most of us hear a form of that saying our whole lives but in fact it’s great advice. You should love and respect your roommate because this is an experience that you may never get again, and who knows they could turn out to be the best friend you ever had. I think that this living experience, even though it has only just begun, has opened my eyes to a whole new perspective. It is completely different from living at home and not having to be as conscious as to what you are doing. Living with Sarah has made me realize that I can’t just do whatever I want when I want; I have to make sure it doesn’t affect her too. Love and respect your roommate. This I believe.