To Error is Human

Jenn - pgh, Pennsylvania

To Error Is Human:

The Belief in Second Chances

It has become highly apparent that in today’s society, pursuing and ultimately achieving the often unobtainable goal of true and complete happiness is becoming more and more difficult for Americans. As the economy continues to spiral deeper into a recession, many people are being forced to make decisions that they would have otherwise never made. Absolutely no one is perfect, and many times need a second chance in order to straighten out the affairs of their daily life. I fully believe in second chances simply due to the fact that I feel that they are completely necessary in order to make campus, our community, our state, and even our nation a better place for all of us to coexist on the quest of accomplish personal happiness.

Although I have experienced many opportunities in my life where a second chance has truly made a significant difference, I feel that the most prominent examples of second chances would be Nelson Mandela. This man was jailed for multiple years and considered to be a terrorist within his own country of Africa. Instead of being defeated, Nelson chose to use his second chance after being released from prison to truly make a difference in his country and ended by being the first ever elected democratic president of South Africa. I believe he may have said it best, “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

I feel that each one of us is on our own journey to live the best life possible. Mistakes throughout the journey of life will happen, no matter how hard one may try to avoid them. Without second chances, who knows how many lives would remain on the path to ultimate and complete destruction. I truly believe that everyone deserves the right to a second chance. I can only imagine the possibilities for our campus, our community, our state, and ultimately the world if we were all re-evaluated the ramifications of second chances. Who knows how many life altering changes would come out of people receiving the benefit of the doubt, and being given a second chance? In my opinion, during a time where we need each other more than perhaps ever in our generation, we all need to lean on each other and extend a second chance to someone in our own life today.