Everything Happens for a Reason

Bradley - Liberty Township, Ohio
Themes: purpose

Everything Happens for a Reason

I believe that everything happens for a reason. There might be times when you start thinking “why is this happening to me?” or “what did I do to deserve this?”. Even though you question yourself about the event, it was just meant to be.

I was in the sixth grade at Liberty Elementary. I was having a tough time making friends. Always at recess I would try to ask people if I could play soccer with them. Everytime I would get, “Sorry, we already have enough people, maybe next time.” I knew that there wasn’t going to be a next time or even a next week, month, or year. I became an emotional wreck. My grades were terrible and after school my friends were a last priority. I had a few good friends, but a desire to make new friends crossed my mind.

My friends would always ask me what was going on and my parents also noticed the predicament I was experiencing. When I would come home from school my parents saw a different person. My parents would always ask me what was going on, but I would end up pushing them away. I finally told them I had trouble making friends and they were there to comfort me.

A new chapter was about to unfold. I decided I wanted to go to a private high school. Nervouness took over my first day of schoo. I had no clue who anyone was and I felt like an outkast. On the first day though I met one of my best friends. After experiencing the first day the first year was easy and fun. I felt like I was on top of the world because of the friends I had made. My parents were shocked to see me like this. I wasn’t the same emotional kid. At certain events, I would happen to see kids from elementary school. I talked to them and got the weirdest feeling. It felt like they were my friends.

My senior year changed my life drastically. I went on this Kairos retreat. This retreat helps you connect spiritually with God, bond with classmates, and find out about yourself. I talked to people in my class that I would have never talked to at school. Some of the students had secrets that kids would have ever thought about. One of my friends had been raped by one her relatives when she was younger. Before making the retreat I made fun of some of the kids. I made bonds with people that will last a lifetime. Kairos made my life worthwhile.

I believe everything happens for a reason. Having that feeling of being on top of the world is the greatest feeling, I can’t even explain it. I couldn’t do it without my friends and family, they were my light in this situation. They pulled me out of the dark and into the light.