Family

Richard - Harrisonburg, Virginia

As I was thinking about what to say was my belief, I was only drawing blanks. I couldn’t for the life of me figure it out. So bored and tired of thinking, I called my family to see how they were doing and maybe bounce some ideas off them. Dialing the numbers, I realized that I believe in family. Who else offers such a strong support system and teaches you about yourself. My family has played such a massive role in my life in these two areas that it caused me to believe in family.

Over the years, you will no doubt have a variety of major problems, a loss of a loved one or something of the sort, and you will need to talk to someone about your feelings and need to get things off your chest. Your family will always be there in order to fill this need and help you to feel better. My family is the best support system for me because they know me better than anyone else so they know how I react to things and what I need to hear to feel better. Not just the superficial comforts but the ones that actually bring about healing. When my first hamster died when I was five, I was really sad and I didn’t know what to do. This is where my family stepped in, held a funeral and I felt much better. Without them I don’t know what I would have done. I guess that I just would have just been sad for a long time.

Also, I learned a lot about myself and my morals from my family. Ever since we are little our parents are teaching us about life and how we should live it. I remember sitting around my dinner table listening to my parents talking about their jobs and how to balance a checkbook. They also taught me how to act acceptably and a lot of life lessons. Also when I spend time with my brothers, I learned a lot more about myself. I learned what kind of sports that I was good at. I also learned what kinds of actions from them make me angry, and just how quickly how angry I get. Also some of my most favorite times have been spent with my family. One of my favorite memories as a child was going to my aunt’s house and going to the local ice cream parlor and getting a hot fudge sundae and sharing it with my oldest brother. It doesn’t seem that powerful but it that way it is. By just eating ice cream together, I learned to appreciate my family.

When people don’t spend time with their family, it makes me think “How did they figure out what they believe in?” Not only did my family help me find what I believe in but they are what I believe in.