Being Active

Thomas - aurora, Colorado
Themes: work

I believe that I should be active now and as an adult. I always have had a problem with other people not being active and I have seen what could happen. I never want to not be active because without out being active I can’t believe that I will be ok in the end and still have enough energy to go on with my every day life. I also always want to be active because I feel good about myself.

I like being active, especially in sports. This allows me to make a lot of friends, but it is also difficult to make friends who are not active. I have a hard time talking to kids who are not active, especially in sports, because a lot of times they don’t know anything about the game(s) I play. Being active on a sports team allows me to make new friends quickly. I am on a football team now who most of the kids will go to the same High School as me. I am happy for having a group that I can already hang out with and know when I start High School.

Being active helps me to control my asthma. I just seem to run faster and hit harder. When I am active, I don’t feel helpless. My asthma is a problem, but staying active helps me to both learn how to control and know when an attack is coming on. When I am active I don’t feel like my asthma is in control of what I do. Before it used to scare me, but as I remained active I learned how to control the attacks.

I want to always be active because I don’t want to grow up and have a stroke like my great grandpa. Before he died I can remember him getting out of his chair and barely making it to the bathroom. He was so out of shape that he had a stroke at a young age. By the age of 70 years old he couldn’t do anything for himself. I never want that to be me because it’s frightening thinking about the possibility of dieing from the way I didn’t live my life. My great grandpa told me to always be active, never quit, and try to never end up like him. Even though he died from the stroke and my grandpa has the same “biological disposition” (my mom told me that term) my grandpa doesn’t stay active like he should. I wish that he was active because I fear loosing him the same way I lost my great grandpa. I don’t want to end up like either of them, so I am choosing to stay active.

I believe that I have to be active because by not being active I may be hurting my body. If I wasn’t active I would think that I was going to end up like my great grandpa. I am happy that I am active and that I am not like my grandpa and his dad. Being the way I am reassures me that I will die due to old age and not because of some unhealthy disease. Being active lets me look at other things that I can change to feel safe and not be worried what might happen to me when I am older. I don’t want to loose control of my asthma, and I don’t want to have a stroke like my great grandpa. I also like how being active has introduced me to new friends. I believe I should always be active now and as an adult so I don’t have to live my last years in sorrow and in shame.