A

Jeff - Casa Grande, Arizona

A “Harmless” game? For most people World of Warcraft is the complete opposite. It is so much more than a game; it’s a way of life. Addiction is anything that would hold you back from living your life. Even a game if you don’t know how to regulate your time on it properly can take over your life. I want to mention some statistics of my past 3 years. I have over 208 days played total in World of Warcraft over the span of 3 years and those are not “game days” they are real days when you play the game for 24 hours that equals a day. So that is literally 208 days out of 1068 days that I have had the game. That is 2/3 of a year playing a game. Addiction in any way, shape or form is bad and keeps you from living life to the fullest or as they say it in Latin “Carpe Diem”.

My addiction was not what you would call a “normal” addiction. It was to a game. Not just any game this game has so many different aspects that draw you into it. There is so much to do in this game. When you get into this game it’s boring and repetitive but once you start playing more and more you get caught up into it and want the best of the best for your character in the game and will pretty much give anything to get the best. You can do Player Versus Player combat, you can do Player Versus World (monsters and whatever else) combat. And it is all to attain the best gear/equipment you can for your character. It all takes a lot of time.

Carpe Diem and addiction it is my belief that addiction ruins your ability to live life. I myself have missed many opportunities so many I cannot name them all. World of Warcraft has been banned in many countries along with many other online games because of the addictive properties of the games. During high school I went to almost no social events football games, dances, baseball games, basketball and everything else I was busy playing World of Warcraft it consumed my life for just almost 3 years all I had was playing World of Warcraft.

I made a choice I gave up playing 24/7 and new ever sense I started college I have severally limited my time on the game down to nothing I believe that I am no longer addicted to it I have no desire to play anymore.