A Simple Smile Can…

Jennifer - Greenville, North Carolina

A Simple Smile Can…

Today, we live in a world that is filled with so much ignorance and if ignorance is supposed to be bliss, then why aren’t more people happy? I can tell you why. It is because everybody is in such a big hurry, that nobody takes the time to slow down and smile and enjoy life. To me, the smallest things mean the most. In today’s hectic society, simple smile can brighten anybody’s day.

When I was about 11 years old, I realized that this philosophy is truly something to live by. Since, I can remember, my grandmother always told me, that when I smiled, I sparkled and that my smile could brighten up anybody’s day. Of course, I would giggle and go on my happy way. But, as the years passed, I realized how right she actually was. I remember going into a Wal-Mart one day and the check-out lady seemed to be having the worst day ever and I could definitely see why. The store was packed, like always, and it seemed like everybody was at their wits end and on the edge, even most of the customers. So, after waiting in line for what seemed like an hour, I walked up to the register and casually smiled and asked how her day was going and just by smiling and asking that simple question, her face brightened up. When I was leaving, she smiled back at me and said Thank you, for your smile. From that day forward, not a day has gone by that I don’t smile at every person that passes me. I could be having the worst possible day, but I know when I get a smile in return it brightens my day.

I am 22 years old now, but I still remember what my grandmother has taught me. Even though she has passed, I smile because of her. She was an amazing person who touched a lot of lives. Remember, it’s the smallest things that count the most. And a simple smile can brighten up anybody’s day!