I Believe In Video Games

Kyle - Poquoson, Virginia

What come to mind when I say the words, “Interactive Entertainment Enthusiast?” For many of you it is probably, “What the heck is that?” That’s because I made it up. It’s a euphemism for video gamer. That’s what I am, a gamer. Most of you are probably asking, “Who would pick video games to believe in?” Me, that’s who, and now you’re probably asking, “Why?” Well I’m here to tell you why I believe in video games and it’s for many reasons I bet you’ve never thought of.

Video games are one of the largest social mechanisms in the world today. You go to the movies with a bunch of friends. What happens besides sitting there and processing what you see? The same happens with TV. These are passive activities. Video games, on the other hand, are extremely active. You’re in the story, playing it how you want. You are the character making decisions that cause different outcomes. You are the hero, saving the world and gaining all the glory. You are playing with your friends and showing them whose boss. Offline friends are going to each other’s houses to play video games and socialize with each other. Online there are literally millions of people playing with or against each other. I could be playing online and play against someone in Italy, or Brazil, or Saudi Arabia. It’s amazing how many people are online playing video games and socializing with others all around the world.

Besides being such a massive social tool, it’s also a media outlet that is growing exponentially every year. There’s even a league for professional gamers called Major League Gaming (MLG). Hundreds of kids around the country go to MLG tournaments and play to win money or even sponsorships. There are tons of commercials that center on video games because companies want to reach out to gamers. I saw a commercial the other day that had Mr. T telling the audience how much he rocks at World of Warcraft.

One of the biggest and most beneficial influences video games have contributed is technology. The first video game ever was Pong, a simple game with two blocks and a ball that they hit back and forth. That was back in the 70’s. Now we have games that are more advances than the simulators used in military training. My dad manages an advanced navigational system for the Air Force and he’s even considered buying the new Playstation 3 to use its processing power for military needs.

Video games are a crucial part of today’s society. Friendships can be made around the world through online game play. The media is using commercials to reach out to gamers. It has been one of the big driving forces behind technology advancement for the last three decades. My goal was to shed new light on your view of video games and now that I’ve explained why I believe in them, maybe you can too.