A Reason for Everything

Katherine - Canton, Georgia
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. It’s the fall of 2005 and I am a 17-year-old high school senior who is beginning to make college plans. I knew I wanted to major in theater and found Columbus State University in my searching for the right school. The only problem was that my mom didn’t believe that I was old enough to be moving two hours away from home to live on my own. “And besides,” she told me, “Kennesaw State University has a theater program and you can live at home.” So KSU it was.

Fast forward to the summer of 2006, my last summer before becoming a college student. I decided to direct my first community theater children’s show. After the show ended, the artistic director of the theater told me, “You know, Alice in Wonderland is the next children’s show we have going on here and we need a director for it. Would you be interested?” I said yes right away, but knew I was going to need some help, due to school starting. So I asked a good friend of mine.

When I asked David to be my assistant director for the show, he agreed almost instantly. Over the next eight weeks, David and I were always together. At rehearsal he helped with the kids and afterward we would grab something to eat or get coffee. Mostly we would talk about the show, but sometimes we just needed a break and a chance to relax.

On October 6, 2006 I met David at a movie theater. I didn’t know if it was a date or if he just wanted to hang out, like friends commonly do. He bought the tickets and took me out to dinner, both of which I offered to pay him back for, be he refused. I never let myself fully call it a date while I was with him that night. The last thing I wanted was for things to get awkward between us. So I tried to not think about it until we were out in the parking lot, standing by my car, talking. Before I could actually ask him if it was a date or not, he took me in his arms, gently placed his hand on the side of my face and kissed me softly. It was a kiss I will never forget. I think back to that amazing night all the time, but when I think about the events that led up to that moment, it scares me how close I was to never having that kiss. If I had gone to Columbus for school, I wouldn’t have done the second show. Which means David and I never would have spent that so much time together, we would have never fallen in love, and that kiss wouldn’t be a thought in my mind.

So don’t be upset when something doesn’t go your way. Something better will come along. I believe in fate. I believe in the power of love. And I believe that everything happens for a reason.