I Believe Successful Women Can Be Great Mothers (and vice versa)

Malory - Kenly, North Carolina

With the presidential nomination of Barack Obama and the vice presidential nomination of Sarah Palin, there has been a lot of talk lately about “glass ceilings”. Our country finally has a black man running for president. Glass ceiling broken. The republicans finally nominated a female vice presidential candidate. Glass ceiling broken. But there is another glass ceiling I would like to address. Is there a limit to how successful a great mother can be?

Since Governor Palin’s nomination there has been an immense amount of skepticism regarding her ability to be a great mother while at the same time being second in command to lead our great country. I’ve heard critics say things like, “She can’t do it!”, “What about her poor family?” and “She needs to get her priorities straight!” My response to these critics is simple…”How do you know she can’t do it?”, “What do you know about her family life?”, and “How do you know what her priorities are?” I believe that it is extremely irresponsible to assume that if this woman becomes vice president, she can no longer be a good mother to her five children that she so clearly loves and cherishes. I am not a mother yet, so I personally cannot imagine how difficult this task would be for Governor Palin. However, if there is anything I have learned from all the wonderful mothers around me, it is that ALL mothers are the hardest working people in the world. Whether you are a stay at home mom, a “working” mom, or the vice president of the United States with five children, your schedule is going to be extremely intense. Great mothers conquer obstacles and tough situations everyday. I don’t know how Governor Palin is going to conquer this obstacle and juggle her schedule, her kids’ schedules, and her professional schedule, but I believe she can!

What appalls me the most about the critics of Sarah Palin is the fact that most of them are the people who should be supporting her most, women. What kind of role model would she be for her three daughters (and all other girls for that matter) if she had turned down the nomination simply because she was a mother? That would be like saying that a mother can only be but so professionally successful. Mothers can be Governors but that is it; that is the limit; they can’t be anything more; they can’t be the vice president. She might as well have painted the glass ceiling red. So I commend her for taking the nomination and taking on the challenge. I also commend her wonderful husband Tod for being her partner in this grand mission. And overall, I would just like to thank Governor Palin for personifying what real feminism is all about. She is not a man hater or a bra burner. She is just a wonderful mom, wife, sister, and friend who may also be the vice president, proving that successful women can be great mothers (and vice versa).