Dog Talk

Erica - Casa Grande, Arizona

Dog Talk

“A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself,” quoted Josh Billings. Dogs are like humans, ok well maybe not physically, but mentally they are just like humans in many ways. You may not think so since they do have four legs and a tail, but a dog can be your best friend. Canines will always be there for you when you come home, they are there when you need someone to talk to, and they will love you unconditionally no matter what you do. Canines do not judge us like people by how we look or act and they will be there for you when you have no one else. I believe dogs play an important role in this world to make our lives better.

Animals love and cherish their owners. Even though animals cannot talk they can express their love in other ways. When I come home my dog is right there at the door wagging his tail and licking me. He has his ears perked up showing me that he is happy to see me and his tail is wagging showing he is excited. I love that he is there when I come home showing me that he missed me and loves me. Animals will always be there when you need a friend and someone to talk to. You can tell animals your secrets and you know that they will keep them. My pets are right there with me when I wake up in the morning and I know that their love for me and my love for them will never change. Having pets is like having a friend that you can trust and will be there for the rest of time.

As I left the hospital that day from seeing my Grandmother sick with cancer I knew it might be the last time I saw her. However as I started walking up the door of my house I couldn’t wait to see my dog. As I got closer to the door I could hear Bailey bark as soon as he saw me from the front window and the sound of him running from the room to the door; it sounded like a horse running inside the house. He could hardly hold his excitement to see me. When I opened the door I almost fell to the ground as he jumped up on me. I remember him licking me and how wet and soft his light pink tongue was. His tail was wagging a hundred miles a minute. I could smell the scent of his green apple shampoo on his soft shiny black coat running through my fingers as I petted him. As soon as I got him off of me he started to run in circles. I remember hearing the thumping of his tail hitting the wall as he went around and around. I said to him, “I’m home, I missed you and I love you, too.” I’ve never seen an animal so happy.

Even though it was a sad day Bailey made it better by showing me that he loves me and I know he was telling me that everything would be alright, and he would always be there for me if I needed to talk or just to sit with. Bailey can make a day a whole lot better by not even saying a word.

My dog will always have an important place in my heart. Not just as my dog but as my best friend and confidant. Now, whenever I am feeling down and alone I know I can always count on him to be there right by my side ready to listen or just to sit next to me. I believe a dog’s role in this world is to make our lives better by not having the traits a human friend can have, but maybe even a little more. So I dare you the next time you’re feeling down or had a bad day to go get your dog, he may just turn that frown upside down.