Everything happens for a reason…

Garrett - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: purpose, setbacks

The world seemed hopeless. I was in a downward spiral to me when I saw the word DENIED on my college application. My dream was crushed. My whole life I had had my heart set on one university, and now I couldn’t go. There was somewhere else, but not in my wildest dreams would I want to go there. A university in a small town in Idaho was where I ended up destined to go. It was going to be a big change from the Vegas lifestyle I lived back home where the lights are bright and nights are lively with entertainment to the small town routine in Rexburg where boredom sets in very fast.

I decided, with a lot of persuading and manipulation from my parents that I would go and visit the Idaho campus, it was a long drive and I was already starting to hate the whole idea on the trek up to Idaho. We checked into this fairly decent hotel and we were pretty tired but, we decided to get in the spa at the hotel and then we started to talk about the school and what it had to offer. My father gave me some advice that will last a lifetime. At that point in time I realized that if I were to go to this school then I would be well off here. After talking to my father chills ran up and down my spine that lasted a good thirty seconds. The next day we toured the school, but before the tour we sat in peace in my dad’s Chevy pick-up truck and said a little prayer so that everything would go well and we could find out if this was the place for me. As we did, again, goose-bumps ran up and down our bodies and sure enough I fell in love with the campus. There seems to be a special spirit here.

Graduation and friends came and went. That day finally came though and it was a life- altering experience. I had to drive by myself for about 600 miles, while my mom and dad led the way with their car in front. Driving 600 miles, naturally, one has a lot of time to contemplate. When we finally reached Rexburg, Idaho and took the first exit something filled me with such a great satisfaction. A spirit flowed throughout my body from head to toe. I had never felt this strongly before and it lasted for a good minute. A tear ran down my face faster than light fills a deep, dank bedroom. At that moment I knew for some reason I was supposed to be here. Though I may not know what that reason is right now, I am without a doubt sure that there is something in store for me here and I can tell you, I’m ready for it.