Why l believe in prayer

Tatenda - Coolidge, Arizona

Life is too short. I am sure everyone believes that. No one knows when and how they are going to die. It sounds scary, but it is real. My favorite actor Antonio Banderas once made a quote that said “If life was a cup of coffee l would make sure l drink it every millisecond.” Generally, people would do anything to cling to life as long as possible, but some do not make it. My grandfather was lying motionless, diagnosed with cancer, and we all knew that he would not survive. I only had a faint hope that he might make it because I believe in the power of prayer. Prayers play a big role in my family life.

I was just ten years old when I attended a neighbor’s funeral and l saw people crying, screaming, and wearing black or dull clothes. I did not understand anything about death then. I came to realize what death was when my grand father got ill. He was diagnosed with cancer and his left foot was amputated. For a while, he seemed to be recovering and I hoped that he was going to be fine. But, at the back of my mind, there was this lingering fear that my grandfather was going to die because I was always told that cancer could not be treated.

My family is very religious and we held prayers at church, in the hospital and at home. The pastor gave us hope that miracles could happen through the power of prayer. I just had that faith that somehow God would spare my grandfather from dying. We had endless prayers and for a while my grandfather showed no recovery. I almost gave up hope but my family and the pastor made me feel that anything was possible with God.

My family and l always visited my grandfather at the hospital while he was recovering. He loved fruits, so we always brought him some during our visits. Seeing his youngest granddaughter made him happy and look better. However, no one can beat death. The cancer started spreading to his eyes and brain. He started to have optical illusions and hallucinations. My grandfather knew that he would not survive this time. It was terrifying and depressing, and l would cry whenever l visited him.

My grandfather was to undergo surgery for the last time and if he did not make it that meant the end of him. As young as l was l just prayed to God for a miracle to happen. Around mid morning he was taken for surgery. Family and church members were praying and praying. It was like the Holy Spirit was upon us. l had never felt divine power. The doctors who performed the surgery were amazed. Never had they seen a patient with a level of that type of cancer escape death. I cried tears of joy when my grandfather made it. All the family members could not believe that he had survived.

I believe prayer is a powerful weapon in my life. Life is made up of what one believes in and this greatly impacts one’s life. Prayer has made a significant impact in my life and I sincerely believe in it.