The Golden Rule

Alissa - Missoula, Montana
Themes: golden rule

The Golden Rule

Ever since I can remember, my mom has always told me that what you bring to the world will come back to you. When I was younger I never completely understood what she meant, but I have always tried to treat people how I want them to treat me. Recently, something happened that helped me understand what my mom has always taught me.

My dance company was asked to perform in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City. When my teacher told our company, I watched the excitement grow on the faces of the dancers around me while mine stayed the same. I knew not to get my hopes up because the trip was too expensive. I didn’t ask my parents if I could go because I knew they would feel guilty; they didn’t have the finances to allow me to go. Both of my parents work hard everyday, but I knew a trip to New York would be too much.

Weeks went by and people began planning for the trip and noticing that I wasn’t doing the same. One day my dance teacher called me into her office and asked if I wanted to go to New York with them. I was confused, of course I wanted to go, but I also knew that didn’t mean that I could. She saw the confusion on my face and explained to me that when some of my other teachers and fellow students found out that I wasn’t going because of finances, they all chipped in to help me go.

I couldn’t speak. I was completely caught off guard. My dance teacher interrupted the silence by explaining exactly what my mom had always told me. She said that some people go through life expecting favors without doing anything to deserve them, and others give so much to the people around them just by being themselves. She told me that I not to say thank you because these people didn’t do it for the recognition, they did it because they wanted to help me and thought I deserved to go.

For the first time I understood completely what my mom had always told me and I knew she was right. The type of person you are and how you treat people go hand in hand and what you bring to the world truly will come back to you.