When Things Go Wrong, Who is There For You

Daisy - Herndon, Virginia
Themes: family, illness

“THIS I BELIEVE” SPEECH

What do I believe in? What do I believe in? Have no clue sometimes because I never give it much thought about. Well, once I thought about it, I believe in family because they are always there for you. There are many stories that I could to tell you about my family who are always there for me. The story that I want to talk about is my grandfather, on my father side, when my grandfather had a stroke. My grandfather was paralyzed from the waist down and his right arm was paralyzed as well. He was the kind of guy who would walk everyday in order to get some exercise and he wanted to get some fresh air. My whole family lives about six thousand miles away from us. My family lives in Greece and Turkey since my parents were born in Turkey. One day, when I came home from basketball practice, my parents told me what happened to my pappou. He was about 86 years old when he had a stroke. My parents did not know what to do since they were so far away from him to even do anything about it. So until my father could go back to Turkey he had to fill out some papers since hasn’t been there since he was seventeen years old.

My father even paid for the bedroom in the hospital and retirement home. During the time when we were in the States we had no way to take care him since we were 6,000 miles away. So, my grandparents, on my mother’s side, were taking care of him. They would be there for him every day and stay with him for hours until the visitor hours were over. To me that is what a family is because my grandparents were always there for him. Even though we couldn’t be there for him we at least called him once week in order just hear his voice.

Two years later my grandfather had another stroke when he was in the hospital. We did not know what to do, so my father left for Turkey and took a week of work in order to take care of him. At that time he couldn’t even talk to us on the phone because we couldn’t understand a word he was saying. Also he started to lose his teeth and my grandfather loved his teeth that were one thing he was proud about because he did not have any dentures and he was still 89 years old. Every summer we would go to Turkey to visit him because every time we leave to go home it could be the last time we see him. Family to me is my grandparents taking of him every day, my dad paying money to see him just for a week, and my brother and I seeing him every day when we are in Turkey.