The Fight for Strength

Megan - Wood River, Illinois

I have heard, behind every man is a good woman. For me, I say forget that saying. Women have just as many rights as men. We do not need anyone protecting us, fighting for us, or even standing up for us. We are strong enough to hold our own. At least this is what I have always believed in.

For years women tried to receive equal rights as men, to this day it seems as if we are still struggling for that freedom. Even in the work force a man is most likely to be hired over a woman applicant. This may be because men have always been dominating over women. In the past, women had the idea that they needed to be held up by the support of a man. Like a retaining wall they were suppose to protect a lady from danger and keep her on her feet. We have come a long way from how things used to be. In homes today, it is the woman of the house that is in charge of paying the bills, cooking, and keeping peace and order in the house.

It took me until now to realize that women are still being undermined, through the eyes of a man we are nothing. They mostly think of us as an object In their life; doing the simple tasks they cannot do themselves. These tasks include the cooking, cleaning, and managing the bills. In a recent relationship I have learned that I am stronger without a guy in my life, not in a physical way but mental and emotional. I have always been a very independent person. Very rarely do I depend on anyone. Through the guy I dated for eight months weaknesses I have the strength to be who I want to be. I stand up for what I believe in. That is what every woman in this world should stand for.

At first I couldn’t see it, but as the months went by my eyes began to open and the blindness faded away. He was very sly when it came to using his control. I knew it was there but wanted to be obvious. Through his sweetness he pushed his religion off on me. I told him from the beginning that we didn’t see eye to eye on some of our beliefs. I have failed myself by giving into his church. He doesn’t realize that pushing me into his faith pushed me out of interest with him. He says he was looking, but finding job was harder than it looked. So going out on dates became annoying for me when I would always have to pay. He has yet to attempt to get his license; this meant my gas money to drive him places.

In the months we dated I felt I was his support beam, holding him up from falling on his face. Is this the strength women have been waiting for years to find? Having the courage to stand up and be your own person is the greatest feeling anyone can ever experience. They say, behind every man is a good woman. I say, only a great woman can stand up for what she believes in and have the strength to fight for the rights we women stand for.