Equal Punishment for All

Justin - Wood river, Illinois
Themes: injustice

I believe that the United States has a very inconsistent penal system. People are arrested everyday in the United States for several different disobediences towards the law. One person may be arrested for killing a little child while drunk driving and another person may be arrested for the same thing, but when it comes time for their court date, they are charged very differently, even though they both are in the court for the same reason. One of the suspects may be charged six years in prison with parole, and the other may be charged with twelve years in prison without parole. I think that both suspects should serve equal punishments for the crime that they have committed.

The time served for breaking the law is mainly determined by how skilled the lawyers are, the judge, and the jury, if there is one present. If the lawyer is very skilled at what he or she does, then the person he or she defends will most likely be facing less time in prison. If the lawyer I not very skill at his or her job, then the person he or she is defending will end up spending more time in prison. If there is a jury present in the courtroom, then the lawyer must convince them to vote in favor of their defendant. In this case, the punishment will be determined by the personalities of the jurors.

I find it irritating when people are not charged properly for the crime that they have committed. Sometimes it seems like criminals get off the hook for committing the worst of crimes. For instance, a man in Florida beat his wife with a hammer and left her for dead in their home. The woman survived, but was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. The man ended up pleading insanity, and he was sent to a mental hospital for six months. If you ask me, this man should have been treated like any other person, and should have been locked up in jailed for the rest of his life. There is no reason for someone to commit this act of violence towards another person and be able to get away with it. No matter how rich, or how poor someone is, everyone should be punished correctly for what they have done to disobey the law. Everyone should be rightfully and equally punished for the crimes they have committed.