Lauren - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: love, setbacks

There are some days in life that everything seems to go perfectly. Maybe it’s getting a date with a person that you really like, or maybe it’s just receiving a compliment that makes you feel great, but that day just stands out in your mind as amazing. Unfortunately, to counteract the good, there is the bad, which brings days where everything seems to go according to Murphy’s Law. Arguments, heartbreak, and death seem to plague these times, clinging and adding to the misery until it threatens to overcome even the sturdiest of minds. It is on these days that I simply lay, curled up, on top of my bed, staring at the ceiling and trying pointlessly to find images in the blurred paint. I cannot imagine continuing to live with this emotion the next day, let alone the next week, or the next month, or the next year. Yet no matter what thoughts run through my head, somehow in the morning, I find the strength to get up and make my way through that day, maybe not happily, but at least alive. Somehow, even in the worst moments that life can give me, I can remember the faces of my friends, my family, and everyone that I love, and know that they are there for me. I know that one day – maybe not in the next week, maybe not even in the next month, but one day – I will be happy again. I believe that love can bring me through anything, whether it be the kind of arguments that I think can never be resolved, or a heartache that seems to last forever, or even the death of someone that I held dear. This ability to love has made me believe in something else as well: that I am completely in charge of my own destiny. Sure, maybe at one moment I am miserable, but I have a choice: I can lie on my bed forever, crying my salty tears and hoping that everything that is hurting me will magically disappear, or I can think of the good things that I have in my life and be able to get up the next day to start to heal. Maybe I won’t be truly happy for a long time, but I will be something even more special: I will be alive. I will be coping, and I will be surrounded by people who I know will support me throughout this hard time. My pain is not a curse, but a gift. Yes, I may be suffering, but I am alive. I am able to feel emotion and attachments to people. And, most of all, I am able to look at a road and tell myself, “I will go down that path, and I will do this along the way” and know that because I have people who love me guiding the way, I will make it, because love will get me through anything. This I believe.