Ashley - East Alton, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe that sportsmanship makes you who you are. If you are a good sport, win or lose, I believe that you will be a good sport about other things as well. If you have bad sportsmanship, I believe that you will be more immature and whiney about other things in life. My father always taught my brothers and I to be good sports while growing up. He coached my coach-pitch softball team through ages six to eleven, and we were undefeated three seasons in a row, but not only did he coach us to be good, he taught us sportsmanship. We were all good sports about our continuous winning record and never rubbed it in any other player’s faces. Today, I feel like I take the hard things in life well. I also feel like I am still the good sport that I was when I was six-years-old. I also believe that in a way, sports mold your life together. We learn hard work. We learn teamwork. We learn how to deal with others. Most importantly, we learn how to suck it up and be sports about the situation. Whether the outcome is good or bad, we athletes know how to handle it, in life or reality. As we grow older, we will face reality more and more. I feel that being on any kind of team, especially sports, will help us out tremendously. When I graduate high school I know that I will be more likely to stick things out, and make the best of it. For that, I can truly thank sports, and learning good sportsmanship while younger. It seems to be that people who show good sportsmanship are overall more respected. They are seen as a fair and respectful player. People with bad sportsmanship are seen as a “baby” about the outcome. I do believe that sportsmanship makes you who you are, and how you are seen through the eyes of the public. I thank my father for this great characteristic that he has taught me. I believe I am a respected athlete that shows my teammates, opposing teams, coaches, and parents that I do give one hundred and ten percent.