I Believe In Teddy Bears

Kylie - WoodRiver, Illinois

I believe in Teddy Bears, the comforting confidant and best friend of many American Children today. Not only do children love them, but adults collect them as well. As one of America’s favorite toys, the teddy bear brings an unknown sort of relaxation to all who inhabit them. Growing up, Teddy bears always were the one thing that made any situation, good or bad, so much better. I was able to comfort someone I love with a teddy, and show them the love and comfort that the teddy bear can possess. To me a teddy bear is that and so much more.

Eight long years ago, in the summer before my fourth grade year, we had our family over on the fourth of July for some swimming and barbeque. My father, however, did not join our party, because he wasn’t feeling well. Every now and then I would ask him how he felt.

“Not too good”, he replied.

After everyone went home that night, my mother, brother and I went into my father’s room. He was shivering; we begged and begged him to go to the hospital because we knew something was wrong; however, he was terrified of hospitals and after two hours of begging we went to bed.

The next morning I woke up with my mother yelling up the stairs to get dressed and hurry down. She had called the ambulance. My grandpa took my brother and me to his house until we found out what was going on with my father. He had a series of health problems because he was over weight; he also had Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

I only remember visiting him one time. I asked my mother if I could get him something to make him feel better. So we went into the gift shop at his hospital. I walked around a bit until I saw just exactly what I wanted to get him. It was a golden long haired teddy bear with a sheer ribbon around its neck. I chose it because every time I felt afraid, my teddy was there to be my friend and help me overcome my fear. We went up to his room which felt like the biggest room in the whole hospital. There he was trying to pretend that nothing was wrong. He always tried to make sure I wasn’t scared too. I walked up to him holding the teddy bear behind my back.

”Daddy, I got you something.” I told him.

I gave him that teddy bear and told him that teddy bears always know how to make a person feel better, especially when they are scared. Without saying a word he hugged me as tears began to fall from his face. He thanked me and told me that he loved me. After a few more minutes my grandpa took me and my brother back to his house. That was the last time I remember seeing my dad. He died on July 26, 2000.

I still have that teddy bear and it still comforts me the way teddy bears always have. This particular teddy bear, however, has a memory that can never be erased. I believe in teddy bears, sweet, comforting, confidant teddy bears, they can be your best friend when life gets hard or just be there for when you need them.