I Believe in Family

Alyssa - Wood River, Illinois

This I believe…

I believe in family. “Family means putting your arms around each other and being there,” Barbra Bush once wrote.

I think that family is what gets me through the hardships in life. I think that they are there to support me in all I do, no matter what their opinion is. Family is the one group of people that is always there for me and will love me despite the bad things I have done or will ever do in my lifetime. My family is my backbone. I have learned this in the past year and will never forget how they were there for me when I needed them the most.

Two summers ago, in May 2007, my parents got divorced. To say the least, I was devastated. My whole life I was raised to believe in marriage and what it signifies. Those beliefs vanished when they split up that summer. I didn’t know what to do with my life anymore. I was lost. My idea of family was cut into pieces. I felt like I couldn’t rely on my parents for anything anymore. I was living with my dad and wanted to be with my mom. My mother was someone who I had considered to be my best friend and that summer, she left me to move an hour away with an ‘old flame’. At this point I really had no one to rely on but my other relatives.

My two sisters, Cynthia and Joy, and my Aunt Bev were my main support group during this hardship in my life. They sat down with me and let me cry on their shoulder. They took the time to comfort me and help me come to accept what had happened. They helped me get through the divorce as easily as possible. Alone, I couldn’t have overcome such a big change in my life. I remember calling my aunt, crying, talking about what was going on, and she would give me words of wisdom. Every day was a struggle for me that summer and having them there by my side was the best thing for me at that point. Without them, I wouldn’t have made it through my parents’ divorce. No matter what was going on in their lives, they would take the time out of their life to help me. I couldn’t ask for better sisters or a better aunt.

No matter what, my family is there for me. There may be times when we don’t get along, but in the end, I know they love me and they know I love them. The past year hasn’t been the easiest for me, but when I am down and out about anything, I know I have my family there to cheer me up. The relationship with my parents is getting better, and my mother has moved back into the area to be closer to her family. Even though it is hard for me to rely on my parents for advice, I do try to let them be there for me. I love my family and without them, I would be completely lost. I believe in family.