The Ghost of the Family

Andrew - East Alton, Illinois
Themes: death, family

The Ghost of the Family

“Those you’ve known and lost still walk behind you. All alone they linger till they find you.” –Steven Sater.

I believe that when someone close to you dies that they aren’t actually gone. At the age of one, a terrible experience happened. I lost one of the most important parts to my life, my dad. It happened in the middle of the night; in just the blink of an eye it was happening. My mom started to scream and cry. Only a few seconds later she was on the phone calling 911. The tone of her voice had no panic in it, and she sounded as if nothing was happening. He was rushed to the hospital. Everyone there was shouting it seemed that we were in one of those TV show such as E.R. or even General Hospital. After twelve long hours of trying, the doctors declared that he was dead. Since I was so young I had to be told of all that happened on that night.

Growing up I always felt that there was someone following me. The felling would never go away and I couldn’t really explain it to anyone else. It all became clear to me after a trip to one of my mom’s friend’s house. We went there on the tenth anniversary of my dad’s death because my mom did not feeling like sitting at home. Walking in, the feeling came back the one that someone was with me. After only being there for a couple of minuets my mom’s friend looks at me and says, “There is some kind of aura with you, one that loves you a lot. Its name is Allen, and he wants you to know that he is sorry that his life ended just as yours was beginning.”

This brought tears to my mom’s eyes. I had no idea what was going on. Later at home mom brought me into her room and explains it. She tells me of how babies or little kids are already sensitive to the afterlife or sprits, but since something this bad happened to me at such a young age the “door” never closed. She tells me that I will always feel this way and that I should embrace it and learn from it. Even today I still get that feeling only now I try to talk to it and listen so then I can finally understand what it is all about. So through this experience I now believe that dead loved ones never actually leave you. I believe that they are here to help you with every day problems. All that’s left to say is “thank you, Dad.”