I Believe in Friendship

Brittany - Wood River, Illinois

I believe in friendship. “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart,” Elizabeth Foley once wrote.

I think that if two complete strangers can get to know each other, then a close relationship will develop and they will become best friends. I have many friends, but I only have a couple of best friends. I think my best friends are honest, caring, responsible, fun, and trustworthy. I know that I can tell them anything and they will not judge me. One of my best friends and I have been friends since freshmen year and started being best friends sophomore year. My other best friend and I have been friends since fifth grade when we played summer softball together. Who are my best friends? They are Brittney Kinser and Amanda Wilson.

My journey began one hot summer in 2001 in the city of Wood River, Illinois. This small but friendly town was where I grew up and at this time I attended Lewis and Clark Junior High. I was so excited because I would get to spend another great summer with my best friend, Amanda. Amanda and I were on the same Tri-City softball team and loved hanging out and making our friendship stronger. As we both got older, our friendship went through some struggles, but in the end we were still best friends. Amanda got pregnant at seventeen and I didn’t know how to react to this because I never had a friend who was pregnant at this age before. I decided I wouldn’t let our friendship end just because she got pregnant. I did everything in my power starting that day and still to this day keeping our friendship strong.

The year was 2004 and I was starting my freshmen year in high school. I was really nervous because I didn’t really have any good friends and I was worried about how my high school experience was going to be without any good friends. I got through my first year with some friends, but I wanted a best friend. I started my sophomore year with the intentions to find someone I knew that I could talk to and trust anything with. The day I met my best friend, Brittney, we were sitting in physical science and our teacher gave us a project to do in class with a partner. I didn’t have a partner and neither did she. I got the courage after looking around and seeing everyone else getting with their partners to go and ask Brittney if she wanted to be partners. Brittney said yes and from that day in science class we had become friends and later best friends. I think everyone should experience the moments of making new friends and put in the effort of keeping a good friendship alive. I believe in friendship and the many things it provides as people get older. I am so grateful that I have two best friends that are in my life, and I don’t know what I would do without them.