Independence

Richard - Casa Grande, Arizona

As one is beginning to reach adulthood ties to parents should be starting to be broken. They should learn to start to make their own dissentions. In the pursuit of independence they should not rely on parents for everything. Like many of us have learned to stand on our own two feet, walk up too the door of independence and not being afraid. To open the door and walk through the door way of destiny.

I myself have come to realize this with my own life. When I was younger me and my father were separated for a time in Haiti lived with my aunt until he could provide a stable environment in America. In his absence I learned the since of independent, but we were united later. When we moved back to new Jersey.

Fast-forward to the sixth grade when I first learned to really be responsible. “ this is when you learn to stand on your own two feet and become responsible. This responsibility will ad you in becoming a real man that doesn’t have to rely on any one.” said my father as he handed the key to the house with a intense look on his face. The first time I heard this I was surprised because I was a kid and “why are you putting at lot of responsibility on my shoulders?” After a while I learned what he was saying and started to do things for myself like cook for everyone and laundry. (with his supervision)

Fast forward to the last year of college and like a majority of seniors I had some ideas of what I wanted I wanted to do with my life. It was a worm evening in May and my father just got home from work. We had been talking about what kind of occupation that I wanted to pursue when I entered college since my Junior year. Me and my father had always agreed on that I wanted to go into the health field however, we couldn’t agree on what area. While attending CGUGH I enrolled in a health careers class to study the different health fields so I could narrow down my decision to two occupations. After that class period I realized that the dental field fascinated me and it could be a very good possibility. When I got home I had this since of pride you know the kind of pride that comes from making the right decision and feeling that at this moment no one could touch you. So after my father got home and we both ate dinner I decided to tell him that I was thinking about becoming a dentist or a orthodontist. To say the least he seemed to be ok with it but I could hear some disappointment in his voice. I realized that I in the end have to make the decision however, I will always take his option into account.

Don’t get me wrong I think that parents should have an active role in their kids life, however if they make a mistake let them solve it and don’t just jump to their rescues. I believe if some people don’t let go of their children and let them grow they will never reach there potential. I challenge parents that are always baling their kids out of trouble to not just once and see what happens. You might be surprised that on how well they do.