I believe that if high school was different I wouldn’t have a fear of succeeding in tests thought-out life!

Aubry - Casa Grande, Arizona

I once found myself not trying to rush to get through school anymore, school to me was just passing by as a favor. High school was so simple; it was about accomplishments and succession. There is just one thing in my four years of high school I had a problem with, my skills for test taking was very low. When it came down to taking tests, I realized that I had a fear. I had three tests that meant a lot to me, that I had to take by the end of my four years of high school. This was the first time in high school I actually had to sit down and be serious because these tests determined whether I passed high school or not. If I did not pass the first time, I had two more chances. That was the chance to see where I stood out, what I learned, what I missed out on. Have you ever felt like sometimes you waste your time in class because all the teachers talk about the same thing? Well I believe that if high school was different I wouldn’t have a fear about taken the AIMS reading, mathematics and writing.

My parents always told me when I was younger that it’s not always about passing or failing, it’s about doing your best to see where it takes you. However I knew somewhere down the road I would succeed and I was going to do my best. When was this going to take place though, after it was too late? I knew I had to overcome this fear

and these thoughts about the test and just do my best. Everyone took tests in high school; it was to see what you have learned and what you needed to work on. Tests for me seemed difficult. When the teachers passed out the test, I was the student that looked around to see if anyone else was having a hard time taken the test. I was always trying to be done or get away from the test. I felt that if I hurried though the test I would answer the questions right because the first answer that comes to mind should always be right or if I wasn’t trying to hurry I was trying to escape from sitting in a class room, and taking a test. Fear can be related to the specific behaviors of escaping and avoidance.

I averaged a 3.7 GPA though out high school so I was a good kid, I did what I had to do to earn my grade. I believe that if high school didn’t fly by and the teacher actually took the time to teach about something I wouldn’t have this fear. As time pass though it seemed to me that this was something I had to get over. I couldn’t go into the room where we were going to take the AIMS and sit there to look around or have 100 thoughts running through my head. I had to pass or even succeed. I had to believe that I was going to pass the first time and do my best, no matter how long it took me.

After all the fears and the stressful nights, the results came in, and I didn’t have a hard time passing. I did good enough to succeed two out of three. All together I seem to understand a little more about tests and how they should be looked into. There is something that will always be understood in my eyes that my parents were right, it’s not about what you pass or fail it’s what you learn and accomplish, and the time you take to do it.

After learning that test taking isn’t that bad, I had to let go of that fear. Once in a while I

still have a fear of not succeeding, but if everyone was successful in everything they did then we’d all be perfect. I believe that if high school was different I wouldn’t have a fear in succeeding in tests. However I overcome my fear and learned something important. If high school was different the only thing I would change, is not having to worry about my skills for test taking, because whether you plan on it or not, it’s going to happen. All you can do is take your time and use the knowledge that you have gained. My belief changed some of my thoughts and ways of life, but now I understand my fear, and most importantly I have overcome.