Alcohol Tears Families Apart

Tyler - mesa, Arizona
Themes: addiction, family

Alcohol Tears Families Apart

I saw my brother walking drunk down the side of one of our freeways. I believe that alcohol tears families apart. Alcohol affects our bodies in multiple ways such as our ability to make the right choices, to think logically, and the ability to reason with others and ourselves.

It is now 1:00 AM, just three days before Christmas. I am trying to find my brother, who has just got in a fight with his wife, when they were out celebrating a friend’s birthday. I had dropped them off earlier tonight at Mill Avenue. I am driving down the loop 202 at about ninety MPH; my hands are gripping the steering wheel so tightly my knuckles are starting to turn white. My hands are shaking so badly that it is moving the car from side to side; as I try to calm myself down, I see someone walking on the side of the road. My heart drops to the floor of my car. As time stands still, I hit my brake pedal. I stop, he turns to me and seconds begin to feel like hours. He tells me that he cannot get in to the car, as he hits his knees crying hysterically. He says, “I cannot do it Tyler I am sorry I can’t get in the car she is going to leave me, it’s my fault I screwed up again.” I rush to his aid and tell him that everything will be fine; I am able to get him into my car. Slowly my heart climbs its way back up into my chest, just to drop back out again when he tells me that he will jump out if I do not get off at this exit. He blames himself for the fight. I hold my finger over the lock switch so that if he does try to unlock the door, I can lock it before he can get it open. Before you judge my brother let me tell you a little about him. Even though, he was not always the smartest person he always did what was best for his family; he even worked three jobs at one time. My brother was someone that I looked up to as a role model. When he turned sixteen he went out and got a job so when I turned sixteen I went out and got a job. I had always wanted to be just like my brother when he did something I wanted to do it too. However, that has all changed. I no longer look up to him the way I did before.

Drinking alcohol affects our ability to make the right choices because alcohol is absorbed in to our blood stream. In addition, it changes the way that our brain thinks and operates. My brother would have never been walking down the side of the freeway if he had not been drinking. When someone drinks too much alcohol it changes how we think because it takes oxygen away from the brain.

Drinking alcohol affects our ability to make the right choices as well as the ability to think logically. When you consume alcohol, it slows the reaction time in your brain slowing the time that it takes to make choices such as driving. When people get behind the wheel after drinking, it causes more accidents because your brain can not react as fast as it would if you were not under the influence of alcohol. When you drink alcohol, it makes it more difficult to comprehend what others are saying.

All in all, having my brother be addicted to alcohol is not easy; there have been times when I have just wanted to give up on him. However, he is family and family sticks together in times of need. I still remember that night as if it was yesterday, I remember getting only a few hours of sleep before having to get up and work an eight hour-shift at work that morning.

One thing that hurt the most is that my mom could not help him because she was at work and when I talked to her you could hear that she was frightened from the tone of her voice. Yet, after all of this has happened it has made me realize that when no one else is going to be there family will.

I believe that alcohol tears families apart, for the reasons that it changes the way you think, the way you reason with others and the ability to make good decisions. He is now married, has two daughters, and a job as a driver working for bluebell ice cream. For those who are not emotionally stable like my brother should not drink alcohol.