The Power of One Action

Michelle - Portland, Oregon

Whether it’s a hug or a smile, one simple act of kindness can save a live. The majority of people overlook these little actions and are too busy to even think about it. But it’s those who stop to look at the others around them and who are a lttle less selfless that really make a difference. I think we have all heard the stories of how someone decided not to end their life because of a stranger who smiled or helped them. But why do we just put these stories in the back of our heads and move on with our own life?

It is normal to worry about ourselves most of the time, but it’s when you serve someone else that you really feel happy. Why is it so satisfying when you help someone in need? What is that little spark of happiness and accomplishment that you feel? I have never felt bad after helping someone that truly needed it.

A few years back, my mom was the humanitarian specialist for our church. After meetings and service projects she always came home happy. I saw this and wanted to be just like her. I realised that it was helping others that made her such a better person. Ever since then I have always kept an unconsious eye on people; watching to see if anyone needs a little help. It’s beneficial both the people around me and myself.

You don’t have to dedicate your life to serving others, rather take note of others actions and feelings. If someone looks like they are having a bad day, they probably are. Take it upon yourself to say “Hi”, smile or start a conversation. You may just be what he or she needs. In doing this, you aren’t committing to be their best friend or even friends for that metter. You’re just being a good samaritan who brightens up someone’s day.

Whether you believe in Karma or not, I consider the princible of the “Golden Rule”. If you treat others how you want to be treated, they will have no reason not to treat you the same. Another saying, ‘Kill ‘em with kindness’ really plays a big part with how you go about things. If you wanted to put someone down, wouldn’t it be hard to keep doing so if they just jepy brushing it off or being polite? Evantually you would just give up and move on to someone else who would give you a better reaction. General kindness is just too easy to give in to.

Who thought that a simple smile or an act of kindess could be so strong? It is as tough as steel and as unbreakable as a diamond. Is it so hard to focus a little bit on others to make someone else’s day? Try it and see if it makes a difference in those around you. I believe that one action can change a life, and that if you make the effort, you might just see a difference in yourself.