Stephanie - Antelope, California

I had just turned my straight iron on when I heard the phone ring. It was about eight in the morning and I was still feeling groggy. My roommate, Emily, got up and answered the phone. From the bed room I heard “what” and “who is this?” She came back into the room and said that my other roommate, Kayla, had broken her ankle. So I threw some pants on, put my hair in a ponytail, and grabbed my purse and a map. We then ran out to the car and went to find her. We found her on a side walk across the street from the west fields. Her English class was going to the ropes course and she was late. So she had started to run. Kayla then tripped but she does not know what she tripped on. She was sitting on the ground when we got there. Her elbow was scraped up and her ankle was starting to swell. There just happens to be a fence separating the side walk and the road so Emily and I had to carry her about 25 yards in the wet, green grass to get her to the car. We decided to take her to the emergency room but we had to go back to the dorm to get her insurance card. Once we got to the hospital, Emily carried Kayla up to the entrance to the emergency room, while I carried all of their stuff. They took Kayla into an examining room and Emily and I sat in the waiting room. When she came back out she was on crutches but her ankle was not broken just sprained. These last few days have been really hard on her. She has been getting very tired while walking to her classes and around campus. So my roommates and I have been taking turns carrying her around on our backs.

When I think about this experience I wonder what she would have done if we had not been around to help her. It makes me think of the power of friendship and how friendships can be made so quickly. I met Kayla two weeks ago but we already have a very strong friendship. I feel like I have known her for years. This experience has shown me that friendship is about the good and the bad. And that a real friend is someone who runs to help them at any sign of trouble.