A Mission trip

Brittany - Beaverton, Oregon

A Mission Trip

Until last summer I had not given much thought about the world beyond my community and how people less fortunate than myself live a day-to-day life. I took a mission trip to Northern Canada to spend a week in a small Indian village with my youth group. This trip was not a vacation of sun tanning and bike riding, but a trip to serve others, help those less fortunate than myself and to teach others about God. My plan was to give of my time and energy to the people of the village and to get nothing in return.

The village was small with only one stoplight. The main road through town was paved while all the other roads were made of gravel and dirt leading off to the homes. The only store in the village where people could get food or gas was the “gas bar”. The streets were littered with trash of broken beer bottles, cigarette butts and candy wrappers. The houses were in need of paint and new windows. Playgrounds had been vandalized and were full of broken equipment and overgrown weeds. There was only one small run down church and a new school the government had recently built.

This village was home to many alcoholics, drug users, high-school dropouts, and children born with fetal alcohol syndrome. Many children had parents who didn’t take care of them and let them run freely around the village. It was not uncommon to see the children wearing the same clothes day after day. For fun the young kids spent their time playing soccer in the field behind the school. Life was rough in this community with suicide a common event. One day a 13 year old girl talked about ending her own life as a way to get attention. Most people in the village will spend their entire lives in this small remote community with no opportunity to go to college and have good jobs.

Every teens should have the opportunity to volunteer to help other people in small communities like the village in Canada, so they can see and experience firsthand how others live so they will have understanding and compassion for those around the world.

I believe that the teens who get this opportunity will become a better person.

My plan for this mission trip was to give of my time and energy to the people of the village for 10 days and to get nothing in return. This did not work out that way. This trip was life changing. I realized that I have so much and am so blessed and I

have nothing to complain about; I have parents who care for me, a nice safe home, clean clothes and money to afford new items when needed and I get a good education with the opportunity to go to college. This trip has made me aware of all that I have and know that I have been blessed.