The Power of Puppy Love

Lauren - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in Dewey and the power of puppy love.

As of right now, this mutt—a Terrier/German Shepherd mix—is the love of my life.

Let me get something off my chest. Before Dewey, I thought most pet owners were insane. Every time I saw a Chihuahua in a walking cast, I would think, “Why don’t his owners put that stupid dog out of his misery. With the money they paid to have this dog fixed, they could have bought a new one.” And I would roll my eyes at the sections of dog apparel at stores.

All this changed on that fateful day in August of 2006 when Dad asked me if I wanted to go with him to the animal shelter. I had my misgivings about having a dog in the first place, plus I already had plans. As Dad left, I reminded him that I would not be responsible for this dog.

When I walked in the door that evening, all I saw were wolfish ears and shining eyes. Despite his slightly frightening appearance, I immediately knelt on the floor. Dewey came bounding over to me and proceeded to cover my hands with kisses. He never barked or growled like he usually does with strangers. It was love at first sight—for both of us.

Many non-pet owners feel that these animals are just another responsibility at best and a nuisance at worst. Most would think that I saved Dewey from the shelter, but it is he who saved me.

When my Grandfather died last year, I became depressed, crying over anything that reminded me of him. Dewey would literally watch over me, his wise canine eyes observing my face, his ears cocked for the sounds of crying. He seemed to know whenever I was upset, and he made a point to be there poised to stop the deluge of tears. To this day, if it even sounds like I’m crying he will check on me. I cried the other day, and he heard me from four rooms away and came running full speed to stop my tears by licking my face until I laughed.

Because of Dewey’s constant love and trust I have become a “pet parent.” When he was clipped by a car, I spared no expense to make him well again. He has two winter coats, and we live in San Antonio, TX where it’s cold four days out of the year. He even has Halloween costumes and holiday themed doggie shirts. Dewey spends his nights nestled in the crook of my legs. He eats human food and gets to go on walks free of a leash. He is my baby and I love him.

Two years ago, I would have never dreamed that I would become a “dog person,” much less think of my dog as my child. Despite my original attitude, Dewey has made me a happier person and a true believer in the power of puppy love.