A Storm That is Now Over

Nari - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: family, setbacks

I believe bad situations come around as a precursor of the better future.

We were an ordinary family- both mom and dad working, my sisters and I attending school. Dinner was always prepared by mother and during that time I would cuddle up with my dad and watch television until my mom announced dinner was ready. Typical conversations of how everyone’s day were was always discussed, regular beach vacations as a family were taken and multiple trips to the grocery store were always fun. I was pretty much content and had no problem with that.

But of course, little arguments here and there soon led to explosions of anger. Bang! Clash! Whoosh! My dad never intended on harming anyone but he did have this urge to just get his frustration out by breaking dishes. He threw silver bowls and broke every ittle china piece we had in our collection. Though he is a scaredy cat, he did try to come up with ways to draw attention to himself by attempting suicide. What scared me the most was this one time when he took a gallon of fuel and tried to burn the house down. Crying, my sisters and I had to ask our dad to calm down. Also, there were times when my mother had to sneak us out of the house and stay overnight at a friend’s place.

Now, don’t get me wrong. My dad is a nice guy and he really cares for his children. Every time my sisters and I meet up with him he gives us a hug and apologizes for what he has done. He tries to make up for it by doing whatever he can, but I don’t think he feels as if he has done enough. He has never tried to hurt us in any fashion or form. It was the result of alcohol that led to his behaviors.

Although we are a broken family, I like it better this way. If my family was still together, I do not think I would have liked my dad as much. He would have a different attitude towards my sistesr and I, always complaing how we do not clean the bathroom and how we sleep so late. Because he is not around to see every bit of what we do at home, he only sees and comments on nice things. We meet up with our dad once or twice a month and that is just right for me. He treats us to expensive dinner and gives us allowance, which could not have been expected if he was still living with us. My mom is doing well trying to keep the family together. She is a strong woman and she seems more happier. People tell her how she’s gained more weight but is much brighter. In a way, the divorce was the storm but now that the storm is over, my family and I are enjoying the sunshine.