Every Life Deserves to Live

Anna - Bethalton, Illinois
Themes: birth

As a pregnant 17 year old, I think it’s quite obvious that I believe in pro-life. As I come to the end of my pregnancy, only 5 weeks left, it’s so hard to think about my life if I would have got an abortion.

When I found out I was pregnant, I was 16. I thought my life was over. I’ve grown up in a Christian home and always learned that pre-marital sex is a sin. I didn’t know how to tell my parents. I was sure they’d disown me. I told my boyfriend, and although he was just as upset as I was, he was very supportive. He just turned 18 and was also still in high school.

It took me three days to tell my parents. When I finally did, I couldn’t actually do it. I just kept crying until my mom finally guessed. She ran out of the room crying. Things weren’t the same for a few weeks. It hurt really bad. My mom has always been one of the most important people to me. I thought I’d get a little more support from her, even if she was hurt.

For the first couple weeks, I could barely sleep. I would lay awake at night thinking of how my life was going to change. Not one of those nights that I laid awake did I ever think of having an abortion. For some reason, it just never crossed my mind. No one ever mentioned it to me. Even my parents never asked if I wanted one. My boyfriend never thought of it either. Before I was pregnant, I didn’t believe in abortion but I had never been in the situation. Now I know that I really do believe in pro-life, because abortion was never even a thought.

When my good friend from China found out I was pregnant he asked, “Why didn’t you take a pill to get rid of it?” I knew he didn’t know any better, abortion is a big part of his culture, but it made me furious. I’m not sure why, because even in America, abortion goes on every day. I just couldn’t even begin to think about killing the baby inside of me. No matter how small or undeveloped it was, I made it. After that, I asked my boyfriend what he thought. It made him just as mad. I was glad we felt the same way.

Now, 8 ½ months later, I am 35 weeks pregnant. It’s been a hard 35 weeks, that’s for sure, but I know it’s not going to get any easier. My boyfriend and I are still in high school. Neither of us have jobs right now. I was whispered about a lot in the hallways of school before my pregnancy was openly talked about. I had my feelings hurt a lot. Once, I even had a lady come up to me and say, “You’re too young to be a mom. And your mom is too young to be a grandma. What were you thinking?” It didn’t hurt my feelings as much as it pissed me off. It seems that people look down on pregnant teens, even though they’re not the only ones who are having sex in high school.

To me, I’m taking more responsibility than the girls who choose abortion. I can’t wait to meet my baby boy in just a few weeks. This might not have been the path I saw for my life a year ago, but now, I wouldn’t want it any other way.