Abortion in Certain Situations

Amanda - Wood River, Illinois
Themes: birth

Abortion in Certain Situations

I believe there’s nothing wrong with getting an abortion if it’s needed in the situation. I think that if a woman was raped she shouldn’t be forced to keep her baby, especially if the baby would only bring back terrible memories every time she looked at him. I think that if a teenage girl in high school gets pregnant, she should be allowed to terminate her pregnancy because she isn’t financially stable to have a baby.

I know many people would say well why can’t this woman have her baby and give it up for adoption, but in these situations, the child could always grow up wondering where he came from. The child could one day seek out his parents. If the child did find his parents then he could resent them for never trying to see him. How can you tell a child that you never wanted him, that you only had him because you were forced to? That would be absolutely heartbreaking to hear.

I am in high school right now and I think that if I were to get pregnant, I would have an abortion. I have too much going for me to have to get a dead end job right out of high school and not be able to go to college because I have a baby. I’m not in a situation to have a baby. I don’t even have my driver’s license or a car yet. I work at McDonalds. How can I raise a child on a part-time paycheck from McDonalds?

However, I also think that a single person shouldn’t keep having abortions. I think after the first one or maybe even second one, she needs to take action because she clearly doesn’t want to have a child. She needs to stop having sex, get on birth control, or use condoms because that kind of careless behavior is ridiculous.

I’m not saying abortion is the best option for everybody. Some people who get pregnant in high school are thrilled to have a baby and wouldn’t dream of terminating the pregnancy. I believe that abortion is acceptable in certain situations.