Apathy Rules

Derek - 62095, Illinois
Themes: tolerance

Church has always been weird for me.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that I don’t really believe in god, so to speak. Sitting in the pews watching the pastor preach something I didn’t, honestly, care about has always left me with a sort of detached, separated feeling.

It’s not that I’m a bigot, I’m not. And it’s not that I don’t think about the nature of the universe, everyone does, its part of human nature. I just don’t think that there’s a higher power than what we see.

The trick, I think, is to not think of your beliefs as more important than anyone else’s. On the other hand, however, taking everyone’s beliefs seriously can be difficult and tiring on top of that.

This is why I believe in apathy.

Yes, apathy. I believe that everybody should care just a little less. Sure, it sounds a bit pessimistic, but if you stop and think about if for a second, it makes perfect sense. Most wars are started when one group of people gets upset at another for believing in something different than they do. I think the solution us not to take everyone else’s beliefs more seriously, but to take our own just a little less weight.

It seems to me that if more people could live with a “Meh, alright” attitude, the world would be a more peaceful, happier, and prosperous place. Apathy is the best way to attain this, not really letting what other people do bother me (no matter how much I may or may not agree with it) is the most obvious way of making myself a better, more understanding person (or at the very least, faking it (we can’t all be saints, after all)).

I guess what I’m saying is that, as a person, you don’t need to agree or understand with everyone’s beliefs or lifestyles. What people need to try to do however, is stop complaining so much, and maybe just try to care about what they’re doing just a little bit less. Sure, it probably doesn’t sound like the best way to create an ideal society, but really, who cares?