Hard Work

Anderw - Wood River, Illinois
Themes: work

Hard Work

This I believe: it takes your own hard work to get you places. What you do when you are working reflects on who you really are. Through my life I have been taking the easy way out, cutting corners, and nickel and diming people. Ever since I entered high school I have begun to learn how I must support myself so that others can see who I really am.

My freshmen and sophomore years in high school were the two worst years of my high school career. I was a very lazy student and I was beginning to get worse progressively. I was only half way through my sophomore year when I finally realized I needed to do something about the morals of my work ethic. The reason I suddenly had a change of mind about how I went about working was the Marines recruiter. He told me what it takes to be a Marine and what it takes to be in the military, such as what physical and mental training one must undergo to be a Marine, along with the wisdom to know what to do and when to do it. After I was done talking to him I questioned why I was so lazy and complained so much about what little work I truly had to do. I also began to wonder why people didn’t like me as much as I would have liked them to.

I began to buckle down and work harder in the second half of my sophomore year. I studied more often was more active in class, and I paid more attention in class. As a result I became very interested in what I was learning. I found that I had a great fondness for history mathematics, and physics in particular. Because of this I was rewarded with more respect. Not everyone respected me but the people who mattered to me treated me with much more respect. Such as my peers and teachers. I was happy now that I was working harder and opening new doors for myself. Because of my hard work through my sophomore year, my junior year was one of the best years in high school for me. In my junior year I began to talk to the recruiter more often as he came to our school. It was strange that when I first spoke with him about the marines I just wanted some of his free items. However, now I want his confidence, strength, and knowledge. None of these things could be achieved through my lower standards that I had my freshmen year of high school. This recruiter’s name is Sergeant Cornelius Eiland. Eventually this Marine Sergeant is what I want to become in my future.

I am a senior in high school today. It is my last year and I can say with confidence that because of my hard work I have gained better friends, a better life, and better opportunities for my future. I am going into the Marines, and when I get out I will have the experience and confidence I need to carry myself because of the great work ethic I have developed.