We Don’t Always Have to Know Why

Audra - Livonia, Michigan

I believe we don’t always have to know the answers to life’s complicated question of “why”.

I believe we are born perfect just the way we are. This my daughter has taught me. My daughter has a heart filled with empathy. She knows no enemies. Her smile is infectious. She makes me laugh. She makes the people who love her joyful. She knows how to be a friend and how to receive friendship.

She has challenges. She was born with mysteries of the mind. Her brain has some wires that are mismatched.

Brett has dyslexia, language processing difficulties such as receptive and expressive language delays along with word retrieval problems and anxiety.

I researched and asked the educators and professionals all the right questions. I got her tutors and put her into special education classes. I worked with her day in and day out. I fought for her. I cried. I asked why? I thought I needed to know. I asked everyone and anybody including God.

Time went on and she grew. Brett was struggling every day. Life goes on and does not wait for those who cannot keep up.

I began a journey of exploration and did my research. I persevered. I found a school that would help this lovely child. This school teaches kids who have learning differences. The children are accepted for who they are. They are taught to advocate for themselves. They are given tools and resources. The teachers look at the individual and teaches to each childs strengths. If it’s not working, they try something else.

I have gone through my own heartaches. I have mourned the loss of my original dreams I had for her as a baby.

I have learned over time that Brett was born with her differences for a reason, though I do not have those answers. I do not know the cause of her challenges.

I do know that I am a better mother and person for being given the privilege of getting to raise my girl who is now a young lady.

I believe I do not need to know the answers to all my questions of why. I have faith. I believe my new dreams for Brett are bigger and better than before. I believe she is exactly who she was intended to be. I believe she is my ultimate gift.

This I believe.