I believe in the power of words

Kerrie - Rexburg, Idaho

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Do you recognize this saying? In Eastern Washington it was taught to all the kindergarteners. Why do we teach our children these things? The powers of words are strong. The things said to us we remember forever. Are you aware that it takes five nice things said to downsize the effect of one negative comment? This tells us that words are extremely affective. Nevertheless the effect of that one negative comment and what was said never goes away. There was an experiment that went on in a classroom. The professor told five students to come up front. He then told a student to tell those five students something negative. It didn’t even have to be true. The professor asked the student to sit down and five students per the five students upfront to find five nice things to say. Although the students knew the negative comments that were said were not true the question lingered in their head, “why did they choose to say that?” The experiment was to prove the effect of hurtful words. I can remember when I was maybe 10 to 12 years old my sister and I were playing upstairs in our room after a long day of school. When my mother came up we started talking about our siblings and the power and meaning of love. I still remember what she said to me, “It’s hard to love someone like you.” Now how may you ask does this relate to the power of words? This saying I have ruled my life by, if she can’t love me, no one can. Do I know it’s not true? Yes, I have friends and a boyfriend who love me dearly. Just like the experiment, the power of words is shone. What we say does matter. Our words are so very affective to people. The same goes for kind words. The kind and loving things stick to us and we remember them for the rest of our lives. I challenge you all to watch what you say and say your words with sincerity because I believe in the power of words.