The Power of Music

Cody - altoona, Iowa

The Power of Music

I believe in the power of music. When I was a kid, I grew up with music all around me. My stepdad, Vern, played the drums in a band called Travlin that didn’t do to bad locally. My mom and I would always go to his performances and sometimes go to the bands practices. Whenever I listened, I would be in a good mood almost instantly, and I would stay happy the rest of the day or night, depending on how late the band played.

Having heard Vern play his drums all of the time, I decided to give it a shot myself, so I joined the elementary school band in 5th grade. The music teacher at my school taught me the basics, and I learned all the rudiments very quickly. When Vern felt I was good enough, he gave me his old drums set, a red 5 piece Ludwig. Shortly after that, Vern ran into an old band mate’s son that had started playing the drums because of him, and they decided that he could teach me how to play my drum set. When he started teaching me, I decided to pick up the guitar too. I took lessons for a while, but I eventually decided to stop, once I knew enough to figure things out on my own. Now I just keep practicing and practicing, so I can get better.

Sometimes when I had friends over and we were bored, I would play my guitar to pass the time. One of my friends thought it was really cool, and he decided to start to play with his mom’s old guitar. Although I’ve stopped playing the guitar to focus on the drums, my friend is now way better then I was when I was playing. I always think its cool how music can go from person to person like a chain reaction.

Music always affects me in a positive way. Music for me is a part of everyday life, whether it’s a song stuck in my head, or I’m playing music with my friends. It’s amazing how you can hear someone singing something, then you start singing it, and then someone else hears you. Sometimes if there is a song I like, I can remember it almost instantly, even if I haven’t heard it in a long time.

I think music is a great tool to help people express themselves. From being in a band, I’ve learned how to look at things from different points of view. I’ve also learned to look at the small picture, from just playing the drums by myself. Chain reactions can be strong though music. If music didn’t exist I think life would be very boring.