Lessons in Life

Jeff - Des Moines, Iowa
Themes: sports

Have you ever scored the winning goal, made the final shot, or scored the winning touchdown? It is a truly great and satisfying feeling. It makes all the practices, sweat and hard work feel worth it. With this, I have come to believe that sports bring out the best in people.

As a young child, I loved sports and wanted to play them all. The competitive nature of sports excited me. Soccer has long been my favorite sport. I like most other sports but just not as much as soccer. Football and basketball are other sports that I played when I was younger. Although the games are the most fun to play in, I quickly learned that I couldn’t just show up and play. Practicing is just as important as the game itself. Sports have taught me that to be successful in anything, I must work hard and try my best all of the time.

Playing sports has been my stress reliever, but not only sports, any kind of physical activity that will help to clear my thoughts. When I am out on the field, my mind is free of stress from school, work, and friends. I can just focus on doing what I love most, competing.

Many people are very passionate about sports and competition. Some people may not be the best at certain things in life, but sports can provide people with a goal and a dream to achieve. They can bring out the drive and determination people have inside of them. Aside from hard work, sports can be a person’s escape from the pressures of life if he or she has a difficult home environment or an unsupportive family. On the field, they are part of a unit, a team that works together like a family to accomplish goals. This teaches people a lot about team work and how important it is on and off the field.

Sports have been a very important thing to me in my life. I know they have taught me many important lessons, such as dealing with pressure and adversity, working hard for improvement, to constantly challenge myself, working with others as a team, and countless others too long to list. Everything that sports have taught me, has led me to believe that sports bring out the best in people.