I believe in Grandma’s Words

Austin - altoona, Iowa

I Believe in Grandma

I believe in listening and following Grandma’s advice. She once told me, “If you don’t have any work to do, then only thing you can do is get into trouble.” And since my senior year I don’t think I could ever forget some of the words she told me.

When I was a senior in high school I had a job and I had to work every Friday night. But for the first varsity football game of the season I decided to call in “sick” for work and made the bad decision of going to a high school football game drunk, and it was probably the last time I would ever do that. I happened to get caught by the administration under the influence while I was at the game and was suspended from school for awhile. When I got into trouble all I could think about was where I would be if only I had listened to Grandma, and how I would’ve never been in that situation if I only had remembered her words.

Another thing that she has taught me is that there is no problem that my family and I can not handle. She always told me to face problems head on and not to give up. When my grandma was left by her husband when she just had her seventh child there was no way my grandma could of just given up on her kids. She took it head on. Just to barely get by my grandma had to get three jobs. Seven days a week she worked from around 6:00 a.m. to about 12:00 p.m. Now, whenever I think I have a problem or sometimes think I should give up, I just think about my grandma and all the trouble that she has been through in her life and everything she has taught me since I was a child. Since my incident with the alcohol I have stayed out of trouble, and I thank my grandma every step of the way.