Education

James - Altoona, Iowa

Self directed learning. When I say those words around my friends, they make me play 3 hours of videogames, one hour for each of those bad words. When I say those words around a teacher, they look at me like I dropped out of heaven and landed on their doorstep. So, which do I want? Do I want to have friends, or do I want the respect of my teachers? My decision is absolutely no homework. Let me spend my class time the way I want to. Give me one handout covering all the need to know stuff. Give me one example to cover all the bases, and the assignment, to practice all the material. In 45 minutes, I can guarantee that I finish all the work, know the material, and not forget it an hour after the test.

“Class, read pages 20-45 and answer questions 5-20 on page 46,” says the teacher. Homework, the H-word I strongly dislike. How many practice problems do I have to do? Why can’t I just read one essay instead of three? And why can’t I learn what the generals learned from the conflicts and wars, instead of memorizing the dates they happened and then forgetting about it after the test? I have better things to do with my time, than go home sit around and practice concepts that I already know. In school, it’s always, “Homework this” or “Homework that.” Why can’t I just take a pretest, a posttest, and learn the material on my own somewhere in between? Instead, class time is wasted with pleasantries: taking attendance, checking homework, or talking about who knows what. My parents tell me to be patient, but how can I when I know that my time is being wasted. I guess I can bare it for a few more years. Because I know, in the end, it is about that paper, the paper that describes 4 years of hard work. I guess I will have to continue to jump through the hoops to get it.

Repeat, repeat, and repeat, it gets a little boring after I have heard and learned the same material for the seventh time. Didn’t writing lines of the same thing over and over again used to be a punishment? I believe that education shouldn’t be a punishment. I think that I should want to get up at 6:30 in the morning and go learn. Also I want to thank my parents for making me the motivated person I am today. I always hear the questions like, “Is your homework done?” Or, “How was school today?” Without them, I would just be another kid that hates school.