I Believe in Being Kind

doug - plesant hill, Iowa

I Believe in Being Kind

My friend locked his keys in his truck last month and needed a ride home. I drove him forty miles to his house and back at twelve o’clock in the morning. This was very easy for me to do, yet no one else would do this for him. When I was in middle school my family went on vacation in San Francisco. There were homeless people all over in the city, and I gave all of my allowance away. Just yesterday I let one of my friends borrow my shoes because his were soaked. I believe in being kind.

The easiest thing a person can give is a smile. Everyone deserves to be treated like a friend no matter what they look like or what they have. Whenever I say hi to someone, they smile and this changes what they first thought when they meet me. My teacher Mrs. Stille told our class, “People already have formed an opinion of how you are before they ever talk to you; just by the way you look.” I had started doing this in junior high and did not even know it.

I meet some interesting people at the golf course I work at. I ask almost everyone how he or she played, and just simple questions pertaining to how his or her day was. Almost everyone that has played there knows me and says hi to me whenever they see me. It may not seem as though actions like this make a difference, but they sure can change someone’s day. I believe in being kind.