Remember Who You Are

Hanna - Altoona, Iowa

Remember Who You Are

Grandpa’s house is always the best place to be on the holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even Saint Patrick’s Day, they’re all the same. Thirteen of us grandkids running around, and our parents trying to find a quiet place, so they can catch up with each other. These times always seem to be quite eventful. Then it comes time when we all have to leave. This usually takes a while because we have to say goodbye to everyone. But Grandpa is always last, on our way out the door. I give him a big hug, and as I let go he whispers, “Remember who you are,” to which I always reply, “I am a Rogers.”

I hadn’t always understood what Grandpa meant by this. I just thought he wanted to make sure I wouldn’t forget my name. This always seemed kind of silly; how could I forget my own last name? But when I started junior high, I entered a whole knew world of kids making terrible decisions. I was really scared of being around these people, at first. But one holiday at Grandpa’s, soon after, his constant reminder suddenly clicked; I knew who I was that day, I am a Rogers.

I now understand what my grandpa meant. Knowing that I am a Rogers means that I know right from wrong. I don’t lie, I don’t cheat or steal, because I am a Rogers. I put others before myself, and I put family before others because I am a Rogers. I always work hard and never give up because I am a Rogers. Being a Rogers is who I am and I will never forget that.

After I realized who I was, I became more comfortable in making my own choices. My values became so much stronger, and this helped me through junior high and, so far, high school. Others aren’t so lucky and don’t figure it out until after high school, or college, or maybe they never do. I wonder if those are the people who may have a tough time making the right decisions. I believe that your name is more then just a name, it’s who you are.