Island Time

Rachel - Marshfield, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in Island time. Last April my swim team went to St Croix for a training trip. St Croix is a beautiful island and is apart of the US Virgin Islands. Before we left, our coach kept telling us how hard the training would be. Everyone on my team was very nervous. I mentally prepared myself for how tough it was going to be. First day we got down there we went straight to the pool to train. We trained twice everyday. We would have to wake up at 5:30 AM every morning and be in the pool by 6:00 AM. Each training session was two-three hours. That week all we did was eat, sleep, and swim. Most people might find that miserable. For me, I have never been in that much pain in my life. My legs and arms ached; sometimes it hurt just to walk around. When we weren’t swimming my coach would let the team go to the beach. I have never seen water as blue as the beaches we went to. But I also have never had that much fun in one week. The pool was outdoors and the weather was perfect. When I would look up to take a breath while swimming, I could see beautiful mountains and sky. We also swam with a team called the “St. Croix Dolphins”. We got to meet interesting new people who shared the same love for the sport as my friends and me. This trip really helped me become a better swimmer and helped me overcome obstacles in my training. When we were there time would go by slow, it made it seem like we were there for months and I didn’t want to leave. It was a great experience to meet new people, and to be in a new environment. When my team got back home we were much closer as a team. We would joke around and say; “Slow down, I’m still on Island time”. This trip taught me that in the midst of my hectic schedules to always include time for enjoying “Island time”.