Stuff Happens

Amanda - Pleasant Hill, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem

“The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it,” said Thomas S. Monson President of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This quote has many different affects on me especially in the last month. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason even if it takes time to figure out what the purpose was. I have had many experiences in my life and every single time I find myself asking the question, “Why did this happen?”

The way I look at it is the past is the past and there is nothing I can do to change it, so I might as well find a reason it happened and learn from it. Through the years I always heard people complaining about things and whining “why did this have to happen to me why?” I just sit back and think to myself, “What’s the purpose of what happened to them?” What are the supposed to learn from this experience in their life? Obviously just like anything in life some problems have easily found answers and other take a long time to figure out. Sometimes, I wish that the lesson I am supposed to learn from experiences in my life would just jump out and tell me, but unfortunately they do not I have to figure them out on my own.

The most eye opening experience for me happened on September 5, 2008. Through this experience my belief has grown. I was driving home from our high school football game, when I witnessed an accident. They were all okay. The one guy got on his phone to call the police and I was talking to the other person involved, a senior at my school Jeff, near his truck. While waiting for the police to arrive a car came flying over the hill Jeff and I ran not knowing what the car would do. The next thing I knew I was laying on the ground I had been hit by a car. But, my belief that everything happens for a reason I am still searching for what I am supposed to learn from this experience. The police officer telling me I was lucky to be alive, makes me live my days to the fullest because I don’t know when my last day will be.

I feel like the older I get, the stronger my belief is. When I was young I always heard people say everything happens for a reason, but never knew what that meant. As years went on, I started to comprehend what they were talking about. Even if it takes a long time to learn the lesson from the event in my life I continually look for reasons it happened and learn from it and change the way I do things in my life.

Things in life can be very frustrating and confusing, but this belief helps me overcome many trials in my life. When I can’t figure out why something happened I continually search for that answer because not knowing rips me apart inside. I also have this belief because of God, I think that he has a purpose for everyone and he can help people handle difficult situations, and always find either a positive out of the situation or find a valuable lesson to learn.

I continue to wonder why things happen to me and to others that I care about and even people I don’t know. Can’t stop wondering, “Why all the innocent little children have to battle for their lives every single day fighting cancer.” I am positive they have days where they ask “why me?” In all my struggles in life I continually search for the answers to all my questions and they may not be answered the second I want them to be answered, but I always seem to get something out of every situation.