I am a citizen of the world

Ingrid - Blue springs, Missouri

I believe that our world has become much smaller and that we are all interconnected in ways that we could not have imagined 25 years ago. I believe that although we need to honor our individual histories, beliefs and cultures we can no longer regard the people living on the other side of the earth as separate from us. Today, I know that the CO2 that my car emits in Blue Springs, Missouri affects my friend Lydee’s tomato crop in Cherbourg, France. I’ve learned that my nations Sub-Prime lending crises leads to economical difficulties in Madrid, Spain. I know that although many Americans can’t name the Prime Minister of Germany, the entire world is waiting to know the name of the person that will be elected as the next US president in November.

I believe in the strength of the US. I believe that we have and will lead the rest of the world by our example. The question seems to be, what is our example? Will our example be motivated by fear, insecurity and consumerism or will our example be built on our confidence, our resilience and our honor? Will we continue to define ourselves by the size of our homes, the make of our cars and the electronics that we collect or will we define ourselves by the work that we do, the lives that we save and the values that we instill in our children?

I believe that as an American, I have a responsibility to the world. I believe that the world looks to the US to set the pace for the future. I believe that it is vital to the future of this earth that we begin to recognize how closely our lives are intertwined. I believe that I must help to elect a president that not only reflects the issues that I value as an American citizen but those that reflect what I value as a world citizen.

.