Choose Your Own Path

Rachel - Coolidge, Arizona

Choose Your Own Path

I believe that you should choose your own path. I believe that if you do not feel deep down inside that it is not something you really want to do; then do not do it. It is your life to live,and you should make it your own. Not only should you do as you feel you should do, but also that whichever path you decide to go is the path you were meant to take. I believe you should never regret that decision you made because it will always work out for the better, no matter how discouraging it gets.

I was one of those people who did as they were told. I did not want to get in trouble so I obeyed all those rules that you are supposed to obey. Even though I had an opinion about things, and spoke them frequently, when it came to my life, I was too scared to make a decision on my own and needed people to tell me what I should do next. But there was something about the guided direction I was getting that I was not to certain about.

I was accepted to become a foreign exchange student in Belgium for my senior year of high school. Everyone was so happy and so proud. But for me, that feeling did not come naturally. I was terrified. Once it really hit me, not being allowed to talk to my family for a year, not being able to have a graduation ceremony, not having those senior memories with cheer leading, it got scary. But I was too horrified to let those people down, to tell all those proud people that I wanted to make a drastic decision like this because I was nervous. But I finally worked up the courage because it was either, be miserable because you’re too scared, or just regret your decision when you’re older.

“Mom,” I started tearing up “I do not think I can manage going to Belgium.”

My mom looked at me with a questioned look, “Why not? Is it because of a boy? There will be boys there you know! Don’t ruin your life now for a week relationship.”

I was furious, I mean, how dare she think I am THAT pathetic, and immature to stay here for someone other than myself?

I raised my voice “What are you talking about?! I am scared! I won’t be able to speak to you guys for three months and then when I do it can only be for a minute, I can’t handle that! I honestly do not think I would have a good time there without someone I love with me. I am not going, because I do not want to, not for anyone else!” and I stormed off to my room.

I heard her on the phone later to my dad “yeah, she’s not going.”

My dad gloating, “I told you so! I told you she could not do it!”

Everyone else had the same opinion once I told them my decision. They called me stupid, and told me I would regret it, and I let everyone down, which made me feel horrible but I had to live with it.

My senior year when I went to cheer camp I had an option to try out for this organization call “All Stars. ” All Stars accepts the best cheerleaders and gives them the title as a“ UCA All Star Cheerleader” which some people might not understand, but for cheerleaders, it is a big thing. So trying out my new attitude on life, I tried out for All Stars.

The last day at the award ceremony they started calling out the names of the girls who had made All Stars. They got to my high school and said “Rachel Howland”. I could not believe it. I did not expect to actually make it. I just did it because it was my last chance to ever try. Once I went up a received my award, I found out that when you make All Stars you get invited to cheer in the New Year’s Day Parade in London , and ever since I was a little girl I had wanted to live in England.

If I would not have stayed I would have never gotten that opportunity. I did what I thought I needed to do and got exactly what I wanted. This is why I believe that you should do what YOU think is best for you and not what other people want you to do, but even if your path seems beaten, you can still fix it, and be the type of person you choose to be, that way, you will have no complaints, or anyone to put the blame on. It will be your life, the way you chose to live it.