Why I Believe in Obama

Brian - Beverly, Massachusetts

Boy it sure would be easy to go out and say that I am voting for Barack Obama this November because he represents “change” from the grumpy, old, white men who fool the small-town. country folk into thinking they are looking out for them. It sure would be easy to type those words… oh and I just did.

But that is not the real reason why I will choose Obama and not John McCain. I have to admit, in all honestly, John McCain won’t be the worst thing to happen to the Presidency. That already happened. Odds are the White House will level out into a more dignified place and with the Democratic controlled Congress to balance the ticket, things will proceed at a nominal snail’s pace. It won’t be the most enlightening four years and some issues, the fixes that I really wish to happen in terms of regulation, education and the environment, probably won’t happen. But it won’t be worse than the Rodeo Clown from Texas has done.

I decided on Obama back in September of last year, while the Straight Talk Express was crashing into highway barriers. I took my daughter to an Obama event in New Hampshire with about 200 people in attendance. After he spoke, my daughter said she wanted to meet him. She patiently waited as the crowd surrounded Barack and gushed and hugged and took pictures… and some discussed policy. When it came time for Allison to meet him, he stopped, bent down to her level and instead of just shaking her hand, he asked about her. He asked about her schooling and her name and then he talked about his kids and what they liked and asked if she liked the same things. Meanwhile, people jostled and pushed trying to get his attention… and he never broke his gaze from her and just talked and talked.

He affected my child in a positive way and interacted with her as if she was the only person in the room… the most important person in his world at that moment. I saw a kindness and a caring there in his eyes and his voice. She was his equal at that moment. I knew then that he was the person to guide us into the future… my child’s future.

My affinity for him grew even more, when my mother-in-law, who met him that day and then went off to make phone calls on his behalf to local Nashua, NH Senior Citizens, met him again five months later. Obama walked right up to her and said “Hello, Margaret.” After traveling the country and talking to millions, he had the ability to remember a lone campaign worker from 5 months before. That action shows a man who will remember the details… and as legendary basketball coach John Wooden is fond of saying “It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.”

That’s why I am voting for Barack Obama. I believe in the future and I believe in the details.