I believe that I can be a go-getter!

Daniel - Zillah, Washington

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe that I can be a go-getter! I’ve always reflected upon the person that I want be and the goals that I want to reach in my life. I’ve always had dreams and visions of who I would be when I’m older. Dreaming and having goals are the first step but they will only get you so far. Throughout High School, and the first part of college I was surprised that those hopes and dreams were not becoming a reality. I knew that I was capable of so much more but I didn’t know how to reach my potential.

During my 2-year mission to Minnesota, a leader that I looked up to told a story of an ordinary man who decided that no matter what task lay ahead he would get the job done. The man was an old war vet from World War 2, who came up to a wealthy logging industry owner asking for a job. The owner decided to put him to the “test” and see if he could accomplish the task. The old man was asked to get a blue vase in a distant city for the owner’s wife, and then to return it to the owner that night at the train station. The owner purposely gave him the wrong address, the wrong train time, not enough money, and many other obstacles that would easily cause someone to quit. The old man never gave up and did everything he could to get the vase to the owner. He got the vase and somehow made it to the station right on time. The old man got the job as the owner for the industry in Singapore, and was a great asset to the company.

Through his determination to reach his potential he became a “go- getter”. When the old man was asked to do something we would always answer, “It shall be done”. My leader who told this story was influenced by it and said that it changed his life; he too was a “go-getter”. I was so excited when I heard this story, and I felt the great desire to be “a blue vase getter”, like that man. I learned that “go-getters” produce “go-getters”.

Now being home from my mission, I have a totally different outlook on my life. I know that my dreams and visions can become a reality if I decide to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Nobody can stop me from being the best that I can except for me. This story will always be an influence to me and I know that if I keep that attitude that I can reach my potential and live up to the dreams that I have. Its one thing to dream, but it’s another thing to do and become something great.

I believe that I can be a “go-getter”.